Thursday, July 16, 2015

Temple Trip

We arose at 4 am to prepare to leave for the temple.  At 5:20, 6 Elders knocked on our apartment door and we left in the big van and a driving rainstorm.  I was literally soaked walking the 40 feet from our apartment building to the van.  Enroute to the temple, we picked up 4 additional Elders.  We arrived at the Orlando Temple at about 7:45.  We met the Healeys, and Sis. Cusick who had brought 4 Elders with them. 

What made this temple trip different is that Elder Mazivila, who is from Mozambiqure, was able to do the temple work for his deceased father.  Elder Mazivila is the only member in his family, and his father died 23 years ago.  He was baptized and confirmed for his father by his companion, Elder Franklin.  All of the other Elders along with the Temple President were able to watch.  Following the baptism, Elder Mazivila gave Elder Franklin a very long embrace while they were still standing in the font.  It was a very tender moment and there were not many dry eyes among the observers.  It was a special occasion, and the Temple President had me write down for him all of the details for the two missionaries.  He was really touched by the baptism and confirmation.  Elder Mazivila was also able to perform the initiatory and endowment ordinances  for his father.  Following the endowment session, President Tilton met with the missionaries and referred to the ordinances performed by the two Elders.  He made some comments and answered questions.

Another interesting experience happened to me following the time in the temple.  I made a quick dash to the LDS Distribution Center located adjacent to the temple.  I was looking for a small cylinder to hold consecrated oil.  I have oil in the apartment, but I thought I should probably carry some with me.  I was visiting with a young returned missionary and his parents who were also in the store.  Unfortunately the store does not carry the small containers.  So the returned missionary ran out to his car and gave me his.  He insisted that I take it and said that he had several.  I thanked him, and he said he needed to thank me for our service.

The Elders, Healeys, Sis. Cusick and us at the Orlando Temple.


Elder Milmont who started calling Renee "Sister Sunshine"

Elders Barnett (Farmington, UT) and Nordin (Houston, TX) who live in our complex.

Elder Franklin, a great trainer of missionaries (see next picture)
Elder Murat (Haiti), Elder Franklin (Highland, UT), and Elder Mazivila (Mozambique)

No comments:

Post a Comment